fot

Re: Line Boring the TR-3/4 Three Main Engine Blocks

To: rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Line Boring the TR-3/4 Three Main Engine Blocks
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:37:39 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/00 3:56:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu writes:

<< Ken Gillanders strongly advises against line boring the blocks unless
 *absolutely* necessary.  Line boring moves the crank up in the block,
 changing the deck height of the pistons and the clearance to the head.
 If you've shaved the head, line boring may create problems there.  It
 seems to me that there was another problem, but it is too early in the
 morning for me to remember what that was right now.

Thanks for the response, John.  I added your response to my Line Bore file
and will print the entire file when I feel that all the responses are in.

Kas's book advises that all the piston crowns are machined for the same deck
height for all four pistons.  I have been operating like Henry Ford for the
past thirty some years and automatically taking 0.010" off of the crowns of
all my pistons, and trying to make them all weigh the same.  That way, after
each explosion, I can replace a piston from another set.  I am sure that I am
loosing a little power by doing this, but my other problems have been far
greater down through the years.  Even my last popup Cosworth pistons required
0.010" to be removed from the flat areas.  The raised areas of the pistons
were not a problem.  For popup pistons, you shave about 0.150" from the head
rather than the traditional 0.175" to 0.185'" from the heads using flat dome
pistons.

Please let me know if you think of any other problems.  Bill Emery