fot

Mid-Ohio

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Mid-Ohio
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:19:59 -0400
Hi Gang,

For the record, it was more fun than I have had in a long, long time. Yes,
my flywheel parted company with the crank and I toasted a front wheel
bearing, taking out the stub axle and hub. But, hey... this is racing!!!

Sure, I worked on my car in the paddock most of the weekend. But I saw
plenty of green and checkered flags as well. I am sure I wore out my
welcome with a few FOT'ers as I was in need of many spares I didn't bring!
But, hey... this is racing!!

John Harkness and his shop of spares near the track was instrumental in
keeping the car on the track. He allowed me the honor of tearing down a
seized, rusted hulk of an engine on his shop floor to allow me to extricate
a crank dowel pin. Naturally, the crank had to come out in order to drift
the pin out. That hulk of an engine also donated a flywheel, finger type
pressure plate and clutch disk. The clutch didn't slip too bad, if I was
easy on it!

If anybody out there lent me something and I don't get back to you in a few
days, please don't be bashful!

There are many thanks to be passed around for all those who helped me with
parts, advice and wrench spinning. John Harkness provided the
aforementioned parts gratis, and explained the determination he saw in my
face was payment enough. Bob Druar allowed me free access to a big stash of
grade 8 hardware. Ken Gillanders gave me the confidence that the confidence
that the engine would hold together with after the flywheel incident. Joe
Alexander came through with a set of wheel bearings, a spare hub and some
lug nuts. J.K. Jackson provided expert advice, tutelage and tools, along
with a vertical link and stub axle. J.K. even helped install my OD gearbox!

Major kudos go to Jack Brooks, who months ago very enthusiastically
volunteered to crew for me. I'm afraid he didn't know what he was getting
himself into! He arrived like the Cavalry at the time I needed him most,
and jumped right in and got dirty. Jack, it really is OK to wash those
pants, I am sure you will be getting into more race car grease as time goes
by!

The TR/MG Challenge turned out to be the TR-Morgan / BMC Challenge. BMC
cars out there were MG's, Healey's and Mini's, and all their variants. Due
to some mixup at the false grid and major jockeying due to a false start, I
ended up taking the green in close proximity to J.K. Jackson in the
Grassroots Motorsports TR3. J.K. and I duked it out most of the race, I was
even in front of him for a lap! The thrill from that race wiped out all
recollection of the month I spent laboring in the shop, and all the time in
the paddock wearing greasy clothes. I am still getting that huge grin on my
face thinking about it.

The feature race was a washout, and the TR4 proved itself a capable mudder.
That means it didn't leave the track! I can't wait for the budget to allow
for rain tires...

We met several more FOT friends, people I hope to have lasting
relationships with. It's real nice to know there are more people out there
sharing my passion for this lunacy...

A special thanks to Joe Alexander, who not only mentored me, but felt my
actions this past weekend earned me the prestigious (?) Pain and
Perseverance Award. This honor was bestowed to me at the event's cocktail
party, in front of a huge crowd. Thanks, Joe... I'll use the TRF gift
certificate to replace that set of wheel bearings I owe you... I just hope
Charles has them in stock!

My wife Helen told me she got a marriage proposal from Bob Lang... Bob, I
took this opportunity to lower my life insurance, so now she has no reason
to knock me off! Sorry... But, she will keep you in mind to keep my shop
lit if I should meet my maker in an untimely fashion!

Again, many, many thanks to all that helped make this happen for me.

This IS racing!!
Henry Frye   thefryes@iconn.net - TR4
Proud (???) Recipient of the
FOT Pain and Perseverance Award