fot

RE: TR axle breakage - my theory

To: <rbownes@nametree.com>, "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: RE: TR axle breakage - my theory
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:04:01 -0400
Bob,

On Friday I had proposed (off list to Jack D.) sending an axle, with the
wear pattern he noticed, to Duke University (my alma mater) to have them
examined.  The engineering program at Duke has a failure analysis course
(great course) in which the undergrads find or are assigned component
failures.  The object of this project is to determine the cause and
possible remedies for the particular failure.

Conversely, having them reviewed by a professional at CAT would be far
quicker and possibly more accurate.  Learning what is causing the pattern
Jack D. has seen on several axles may lead us to the failure mechanism.

I'd say go for it.  Every failure leaves tracks to it's cause.  We just
need the right equipment and expertise to identify the clues.  I will
contact Duke in September, when they are back in session, to see if I they
will accept an axle for use in this course, but if we have a viable contact
at a major corporation, we may have answers much more quickly.

Regards,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando