fot

Re: GT6 suspension mods

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 suspension mods
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:56:29 EDT
In a message dated 08/07/2000 10:17:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
David.Laver@msdw.com writes:

<< Interesting debate. We prize above all other cars on the grid those with
 period history running as close to the spec they were at.  What if we now
 know they were illegal in period?  What if the illegal mod protects original
 components from inevitable breakage?

As technical director for SVRA I have extensive files on period race cars and
specifications. Our group 6 in particular has a requirement for each car to
have documented period history. Many of the files contain documentation on
specifications that were illegal at the time.

We have a 7/8th size Camaro. We have several acid dipped bodies. We have
fastback Mustangs running B/P as GT350s in period. We have a Chevy Nova that
ran a 350 engine even though 302 was the limit. The car was still so slow
that nobody ever checked! We have Ford rear ends that were under GM bodies
before that was officially allowed. We have an XKE with a Corvette diff.

These are just a few that I remember without looking them up. The point is,
racers did many things to their cars, and for many reasons. First, a car had
to be able to finish, and then perhaps you could probe the limits for speed
and handling.

Remember, this is historic racing. Don't forget the "historic" part of it. We
are not here to correct the oversights of many long gone tech inspectors.

Along a similar trail, we should also make it unnecessary to "cheat" when we
find new solutions to old reliability and safety issues. I would rather err
on the side of fixing a problem than forcing someone into a predicament that
requires covert action or going without to satisfy "original" specifications,
what ever that is in racing.

I have spent the last 25 years debating the value of originality. I have been
on both sides of nearly every issue. I believe I have directed SVRA to a
position of stability and sanity concerning rules and regulations. What we
will let you do we have put in writing and made the documents available to
anyone who asks for them. Each race organization has reasons for their
position on these issues. I hope they all have arrived at their at their
conclusions with as much research and dedication as we have.

Race with your conscience. Don't go where you don't agree with what they are
doing. I hope you choose our way, but I completely understand if you find
another way that pleases you.

Jack Woehrle