fot

Re: racing Vitesses

To: Herald948@aol.com
Subject: Re: racing Vitesses
From: "michael l. cook" <mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:32:11 -0400

Herald948@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/20/00 9:47:51 PM EDT, kaskas@earthlink.net writes:
>
> > Vitesse...Built by my company Kastner Brophy Racing in 1971.  Factory
> >  sent me a stock Vitesse and we then did the build for the then Trans-am
> >  racing.
>
> I admit that I've always been curious as to WHY this all happened when it
> did. Presumably the Vitesse 2L was the only Triumph product that might even
> have come close to fitting neatly into a Trams-Am racing class. But it
> couldn't have had much to do with the classic "Race on Sunday, sell on
> Monday" advertising philosophy. After all, fewer than 700 "Vitesses" were
> ever officially sold in the US, and that had happened about 7-8 years
> earlier. And even the Herald had been gone from the US for several years when
> these two Vitesses hit the Trans-Am circuit!
>
> So Kas, or Mike Cook, or anyone else in the know -- why did Triumph or BLMC
> wish to see this happen?
>
> --Andy
>
> Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register

All of us back at headquarters just assumed that Kas built the Vitesse because
he
could! And because he had a crazy driver named Carl Swanson who did great in
Triumphs with little screaming sixes in them - witness the GT-6 at Road Atlanta.
However, if Kas builds a race car, there is always a GOOD reason behind it. Just
a bit hard to get to it sometimes.

And by the way, Kas, although the car had candy apple and red stripes, it was
actually white, wasn't it?? An I remember Mike Rockett's car being white with
blue stripes - must have been a re-paint.

Now we need to find Paul Newman's 2.5 PI.

Mike