fot

Re: Help! SU Carbs

To: N197TR4@cs.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help! SU Carbs
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:14:42 GMT
>From: N197TR4@cs.com
>To: fot@autox.team.net
>Subject: Help! SU Carbs
>Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:33:05 EDT
>
>My TR4 #197 race car sports the Strombergs and they have been flawless
>since
>I took them off of the shelf (already rebuilt) and installed them in 1992.
>No
>problem here.
>
>However, I have SUs on my street TR3A and I started it for the first
>yesterday after rebuild of chassis and driveline. (Body still at Neihaus
>Restorations). It runs a high idle even with screw adjusters turned way
>out.
>I can force the idle down somewhat with fingers twisting on the cross
>shaft.
>
>What few things can I look for to get the idle down? Why am I so stupid
>after
>owning cars with SUs since 1962?
>
>Quick..as I want to test the tranny and Overdrive units, along with the
>clutch release. One of these days the body will be ready and I want to do
>as
>much as I can on the chassis before the body goes on.
>
>Regards,
>
>Joe Alexander

   Joe, I have a similar symptom with my SUs (HS6s). Of course a lot of
   the high Idle can be blamed on my cam. Still I have notice that when
   the engine is cold it idles at a slower speed than it does whe it's
   hot. I've also notice that weather seems to effect the idle speed as
   well. My `4 will idle slower on colder days than it will the when
   it's warm out. I've also noticed that after a long stretch of high
   speed running, the idle will be higher. My carbs were rebuilt about
   5 years ago with sleeved throttle shafts. I use non standard springs
   on on the choke shaft to make sure is's not playing a role in the
   symptom. I will be very interested in seeing the suggestions that
   come up... Right now I've learned to live with it.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)