fot

Re: (no subject)

To: SpiwakD@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:19:52 EDT
In a message dated 10/13/00 7:39:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SpiwakD@aol.com
writes:

<<
         A local TR3 racer is planning to reinforce his front hubs by welding
 some metal into the depression between the flanges (perhaps two crescents of
 rebar). I suggested he wait until I sought the advice of the FOT seers. I
did
 mention to him the tip about through-bolting the flanges together, but he
 thought the extra holes on the rotor side would weaken the flange >>

This was the trick that racers were using in the 60's -- fill the depression
with weld metal.  The bolt holes would then be extended and threaded to
accommodate longer bolts.

Other people would just dye check the depression every few race weekends.  I
broke the left front hub during practice at the old Marlborough track (late
60's).  When I dye checked the right hub, a very visible crack showed up.
After throwing this hub away, I never found another cracked hub during the
next quarter of a century.