fot

RE: Ballistic Blankets

To: <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ballistic Blankets
From: "Dave Brackin" <dbrackin@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 19:52:44 -0500
FOTers
While wandering around in a local NASCAR shop the other day, I noticed that
the rounders have their own version of a blast shield similar to what was
being discussed a while back.  A  layer of ~1/8" thick reinforced rubber
mat, (sometimes two) was fitted to the inner surface of the tranny tunnel.
It looked like some type of conveyor belting and was pop riveted to the
metal tunnel.  Of course the tunnel isn't removable on these cars but I
think the effect would be the same on a TR.  The mat extended from the
firewall back into the tunnel about 24".  (I don't remember this being on
any of the cars last year.)

By the way I didn't see any added protection from "bouncing" debris.  I
don't want to rekindle this old thread but the fact that this shop builds
the chassis for 70-80% of the big boys in NASCAR tells me they might be on
to something.

Dave Brackin