fot

Re: 5 speed conversion

To: TRBILBO@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5 speed conversion
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:20:04 -0600
TRBILBO@aol.com wrote:

> On ebay there is a photo of a lit offered for $500+ that converts your TR4-6
> to a Supra five speed trans (cost does not include trans, rear bracket or
> driveshaft..
>
> The ad is at....
>     TR6,triumph,overdrive,five speed conversion
>                                          Item #491357528
> www.mybritishcar.com, Hendersonville,NC         the british connection.
>
> Sounded familiar....anyone have experience or details? Availability of close
> ratio or other gear sets?
>
> There are bunches of Supra trans in the pick your parts.....but wondered what
> the list knew.
>
> Noy planning to do this...just curious. Hey....this is the first message I've
> sent from 37,000 feet in a 757 !! I'll be curious to see if it posts.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill Burroughs, 1965 TR4A IRS
> E Ticket Triumphs
>
> P.S. Apologies to the E Ticket gang.... it looks like I'll miss Vegas. Paul
> #190 is back on the road this weekend after trying to move the wall at
> Phoenix raceway.(It didn't move .... requiring some serious TR4A body and
> frame surgery). May get to see you race Sunday yet tho. Wish I was there
> instead of eating this damn airplane tv dinner. Luck to you all. BB

I looked into this several years ago and obtained a brochure from the New
Zealand
manufacturer. Their approach was to supply a gearbox of your choice plus all the
parts so that it was nearly bolt-in. The gearboxes are ex-Japan, cleaned and
checked, with a two month warrranty.

Here are the ratios in their brochure:

Wide ratio (standard):  3.56, 2.05, 1.38, .085
Close ratio                3.28, 1.89, 1.27, .086
Close ratio, high 5th:   3.27, 1.96, 1.31, .0775
Extra wide (rare)        3.95, 2.14, 1.38, .085

Stock TR ratios are     3.14, 2.01, 1.39, 1.00 .78 OD
TR close ratos are      2.19, 1.57, 1.23, 1.00, .78 OD

I've asked the company that has placed this ad on eBay for info on ratios but
did
not receive them, and I don't know current prices either, but when I checked
this
out in 1997, prices in New Zealand Dollars was $2298 incl wide ratio gearbox,
298
air freight and documentation, and 180 extra for close ratio box.

I like the idea of a trans that is built to take Supra horsepower and has
Japanese reliability. I also really want close ratios in my TR4, but in the end
decided to not pursue this conversion partly because of cost and maybe partly
because of authenticity.

What I'd really like to have for my car is a non-OD trans to eliminate the
weight, complexity, and fragility of the British unit, but to have closer second
and third ratios. For the tracks where I run, the huge hole between second and
third is all I'm trying to eliminate. I couldn't find an original close ratio
set, and in 1997, nobody was making them. I designed up some specifications for
gears that would replace just the mainshaft and layshaft  third and fourth gears
(eliminating the need for a new input shaft, clutch disc, and first motion gear)
and asked the company in Memphis (who advertises specialty gears in our
magazines) to quote. I pursued this for six months and was never able to get a
quote from them.

Sorry gang -- more than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but once I pulled the
chain
on my memory it flushed completely.............

--

uncle jack

The Attorney General advises that vintage racing may be hazardous to your
wealth.