fot

Re: 5 speed conversion

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: 5 speed conversion
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:45:36 -0500
Jack et all, I am running a chevy T5 transmission in may car, out of a
chevy Chevette.  It is the same tranny as in some of the V8 powered
cars except that the input shaft is longer, the spline is different
and it has a ford style case.  It is a 5 speed with a .86 5th gear,
and the other ratios are very similar to the TR ones.  It is not,
however, a close ratio, but I am still trying to see if I can get
gears to make it a close ratio.  I made a bell housing by cutting it
off of a TR trans, and fabricated an adapter plate to go between the
trans and bell housing, and welded it to the bell housing.  This was
the first year that I ran it, and it worked great. I was able to use
the stock TR rear mount and only had to elongate the holes on it.  the
shift fits through the stock opening without modification, and I used
the stock clutch slave cylinder and cross rod.

If anyone has any questions about it I would be glad to help out, but
I will be In Texas all week working and won't have access to my email,
so it will be awhile before I can respond.  Joe(B)