fot

RE: Louvered Hoods

To: "'BillDentin@aol.com'" <BillDentin@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Louvered Hoods
From: Russ Moore <rem@CBORD.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:20:04 -0500
An added note perhaps of interest to some. As someone who is involved with
the Tech inspection process with SVRA, I may be able to shed a little light
on the topic. Please do keep in mind I am not the "Final" word on contested
issues but have, for 5 years, teched may vehicles.
The louvers, if tastefully done would be no problem with an SVRA tech
inspection. If you were to toss on Mustang Cobra or Corvette LT-1 style
scoops, that would, raise a significant issue and likely be ordered removed
before another event. Period acceptability is the key, at least with that
organization. There are a number of period cars that have been presented
with louvers that were well within the guidelines of SVRA's intent. As far
as spats, a concern would be their points of attachment and how secure they
would be in use. Bill raises a very well founded concern, that of tire
fitment. This is especially of concern with the high profile tires for those
cars in vintage. There is considerable lateral sidewall motion which may
create problems with clearance. Any evidence of tire scrubs would certainly
be a concern to an inspector looking at such a car.
While flaring is not allowed, some folks have "relieved" areas by
"accentuating" a contour to allow for clearance. Again this is what we have
seen and at times accepted. I would suggest you determine which groups you
desire to run with and contact the Tech Director of each sanctioning body to
get a positive nod before spending time and dollars on something which may
preclude from an event. You will find most all organizations very willing to
provide assistance.
Best regards and good luck with your venture.
Russ Moore
Spitfire #49 SVRA/VARAC