fot

Re: Assuming 4.11's are around?

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, N197TR4@cs.com, thefryes@iconn.net
Subject: Re: Assuming 4.11's are around?
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:13:14 EST
In a message dated 2/28/01 11:31:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

<< (4.55 with O.D. was a GOER). These ratios  were never a
 optional item from the factory but were available from the parts department
 through the competition number. >>

This is the combination that I used for many years until the wheel diameter
dropped due to the more modern, lower tire profiles.  I have several 4.55
ruined ring and pinion sets in a drawer, resulting from assemblies that I had
paid others to build for me.  Finally, I made some crude tools and built the
last one myself, which was used for several seasons, and is still usable
today (in a TR-3 housing).

Going to the wider TR-4 housing, I welded up the already assembled 3.7 ratio,
and have been using it for the past ten years without failure.  Synthetic
gear oil may be helping.  I do have a 4.11 ring and pinion set which I hope
to install in a spare 3.7 housing some time.