fot

Seats and shoulder belts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Seats and shoulder belts
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:05:34 -0700
Hi again,

Seems the concept of restraints caught some attention.

Questions arose regarding shoulder belts. I agree that it is not a good
idea to compress the spine. The general recommendation that has been
published show the belts parallel to the ground to about 4 inches below
the shoulder for upright seating position. The belts that mounted just
above the shoulder have been the most comfortable for me. There seem to
be a split on how to retain a body in semi reclining position. I've seen
examples of at shoulder as well as below the shoulder mountings. Most of
the illustrations I've seen still recommend the below the shoulder
mounting. I feel that mounting below the shoulder, in light of how tight
the belts should be, really promotes spine compression. If you really
tighten up the belts on a below the shoulder installation it is not long
before you are hurting from the pressure on your back. The shoulder belts
should do the job of stopping the upper body from moving forward on
impact and only assist in keeping your head out of the weeds. This can be
accomplished by very tight belts that hold you back to the seat and not
mashing your spine into your pelvis. Your body stretches an astonishing
amount under the loading of an impact and tight, well installed belts
will minimize your travel in the car. Solid seat mounting is extremely
important as well. If the seat back or mounting fails, the best belts in
the world will be useless.

The paramedic who provides his services primarily to the motor sports
arena told us at our recent RMVR Crash & Burn School that shoulder belts
that you can slip your fingers between the belt and the chest are to
loose. The less you can move in the belts, the better. Wendy's method of
tightening the belts is great. Tighten, exhale and tighten again.

The seat design can also have dramatic consequences for the spine. It
looks as though the pre load of the spine along with a lack of proper
lumbar support can produce spinal fractures. This is worth looking into
when buying a seat. Many of the seats out there have very poor lumbar
support and lumbar support is every bit as important as lateral support
in a racing seat.

What can't be overstated is that driver restraint is a system and every
part of it must be right or the whole is compromised.

Bill 70 GT-6+
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!