fot

Aluminum pulleys

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aluminum pulleys
From: "Matthew Wilder" <mwilder@top.monad.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:21:12 -0500
On a side note,  I made a pulley for a Delco mini-alt. I put on my 4a
auto-xer.  I'm using the stock belt and made the first pulley to fit the
belt which resulted in it riding on the inside dia and sounding like a
supercharger all year, plus the pully got rather hot after a while.  So last
week I pulled out the Machinist handbook and made one to SAE specs, again
out of 6061 T6 aluminum.  This one's nice and quiet but it still gets
warm/hot after running a little while.  The pulleys seem to be lined up
well.  Anyone else ever noticed aluminum pulleys getting hot?

Also wondering.  If you go to an electric fan can the crankpulley/fan
extension be replaced with Aluminum or does it act as a ballancer?

Matthew Wilder
'67 TR4a E-prepared auto-xer
http://top.mcttelecom.com/~mwilder/