fot

TR4 front spoiler vs. air dam?

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 front spoiler vs. air dam?
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:55:25 -0500
Amici,
I am looking for ways to improve top end performance at TWS. We come off the
road course onto the front Nascar straight and I run somewhere over 100 mph
at the end of the straight. With 3.7 gears and 195-60-15 Yokes I reach
somewhere between 6000-6500 rpm. I never really see the tach when I get out
of the throttle because I have to turn off the straight and over the apron
onto the road course. This requires all my concentration to avoid garment
fouling, so I can't say for sure. I digress. On the race starts, I can pull
with the best of them up to about 90 mph, and around the rest of the track,
but when running the full straight to the end, I'm losing ground to the
MagGot's. I've been told that the front end of my car is lifting, and the
bonnet is distorted by the air. I know I need to close off the air entry
better, which will involve pinning the bonnet at the front and some more
grill blocking, but what about air dams and spoilers. 1972 rules allowed
spoilers as wide as the tire centerline and no more than 3" below the
bodywork. Is there any benefit to using a spoiler like the 73+ TR6 unit, or
an air dam at these speeds?
TIA

Bob Kramer
TR4, TR4A, TR6, 2.5 Saloon