fot

RE: TR4 front spoiler vs. air dam?

To: Brad Eells <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 front spoiler vs. air dam?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:21:46 -0700
Hmmm. At the end of the back straight at PIR my cheater TR3 read 123 mph
via radar gun. I think it's about the same at the end of the much longer
straight at SIR since I lift and hold at 6500 RPM. I'm running 3.7 gears
and TA's with a 60 series profile. Unless there's some other difference I
would guess you're doing a bit better than 100MPH (or that radar gun is
the source of all my tickets--I KNEW I wasn't speeding!!).

My front end feels light and airy, kind of like steering a ballerina
around. I wouldn't want to crank the wheel until hard braking had put the
front wheels into better contact. Of course with all the illegal stuff on
my TR3 I should have a full aero package, or maybe a auxiliary fan motor
to suck the bugger down.

My fiberglass bonnet bulges up like a '49 Chevy truck at those speeds.
I've got it pinned down in five places (honest!!) to keep it from turning
into a kite. I don't think blocking off air is the answer, I don't have
any inner fenders so there's lots of exit area. The nose is a big ol' wing
turned the wrong way (lifting).

I do have a semi spoiler under the nose--I don't really think it helps,
but it gives the tech guys one more thing to frown at.