fot

Re: water pump speeds

To: mattspit@att.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: water pump speeds
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:13:40 EDT
In a message dated 4/20/01 8:22:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, mattspit@att.net
writes:

<< I remember a discussion on speed of water moving through radiators and
 whether it is better for it to move slow (more time to exchange) or fast
 (higher gradient).
 There is an excellent discussion in June 2001 Circle Track. >>

I will have to look for this article in my June issue.

There is an optimum flow rate for every radiator -- not too fast and not too
slow.  This rule also holds true for heat exchangers in power plants.

The ancient practice for TR-3/4's was to install a restrictor washer in place
of the thermostat (opening, about the size of a quarter), use about a 15 psi
cap, and eliminate the bypass flow.  All of the open areas around the
radiator are then shrouded off with sheet metal or aluminum.  The overflow is
then connected by tubing to the top of a gallon lacquer thinner can (catch
tank with a small vent hole in the top).

I am sure that some of the list now have a better system than the one above.
I hope to eventually get an aluminum radiator.