fot

Re: water pump speeds

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, WEmery7451@aol.com, mattspit@att.net,
Subject: Re: water pump speeds
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:19:27 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/01 8:52:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

<< The reason to restrict the flow is to increase or maintain the BLOCK
 PRESSURE.  The block pressure is what eliminates the areas of steam pockets
 in the cylinder head that when ignored result in blown head gaskets etc. >>

Thanks for the information, Kas.  I never did have all of the dots connected.
 In my early days, TR racers would shim their radiator caps with rubber
O-rings (I assume that this activity was to keep the pressure up in the
block.)  It is anyone's guess as to how high the radiator pressures were
going.  After I suffered several DNF's from blowing off hoses and blowing out
water pump packing, I eliminated the radiator cap shim and started to use the
15 psi cap. (Three TR-3 radiators filler necks were modifies to accommodate
the short reach caps.)

My first move now, I assume, is to look for a 25 psi radiator cap.