fot

Re: water pump speeds / airdams

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: water pump speeds / airdams
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:33:49 EDT
Block pressure can be higher than radiator pressure, similar to an AC system.
Put a pressure gauge tap in the block drain tap hole. I put a second spring
in a STD
TR3 cap & it did measure at 8 P.S.I. and work well without blowing the pump
seal
or hoses.  I made my own gilmore drive system with the same diameter for both
pulleys. Kas is probably more exact, but I ran this way for years.  I used a
bellows type thermostat, with modifications for various tracks:
these units tend to fail open, and some block the bypass.  I ran in the 6000
to 7200
rpm range with a calibrated tack.  The radiator was fully ducted, and I ran
an air dam
as soon as it became legal. We ran Riverside  and Willow in the middle of the
summer.
 BTW we used lap times to measure various aerodynamic modifications.  Think
of the entire shape, not just that of the add-on; and remember the drag of
the underside, as you look for a low pressure under the car!

Hardy