fot

Mid-Ohio 2001 Inspires Triumph Racers

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Mid-Ohio 2001 Inspires Triumph Racers
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:52:20 -0400
A race weekend at Mid-Ohio without mud. What a concept... We had some
showers of Thursday, enough to sideline me for one session at test day, and
some solid rain late that night, but nothing that effected the track for
the rest of the weekend. Track was dry and fast. Very fast.

There were many very inspired Triumph racers in attendance. Don Brick
turned his first sub-2 minute lap at Mid-O. Not bad for a young guy! So did
Bill Dentinger in the Thunderbolt. So did JK Jackson. Tim Suddard ran
several 2 minute flats, but sharing the driving with JK cut his seat time
down, and JK ran the feature. No doubt Tim would have done it too.

Jeff Snook took his TR3 with it's new engine and set the pace for the rest
of us to try to match, turning a blistering 1:51.5 in the feature.

I managed a 1:54.8 in the feature. Bettered last year's time by 9 seconds.
;-) No repeat of last year's disaster for me. Thanks to Bruce Stutzman and
Gerry Van Vlack for coming out and getting their hands dirty with me. All
minor stuff that really helped!

Small bore guys were looking great. Russ Moore was keeping the Triumphs on
track with help and sage advice. Thanks, Russ. Ed Ceilly managed to convert
a toasted electronic ignition system back to a points system in time to run
well in the enduro and the feature. Nice job Ed.

Greg Petrolati was there taking pictures and interviewing folks for his
upcoming article in Vintage Motorsport. Look for it!

I'll bet that smile on Don Brick's face (and Dentinger's, too) is still
pasted there... I know mine is!