fot

RE: Smiths tach

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, Ian Cowie <ianhome@acohs.com.au>,
Subject: RE: Smiths tach
From: Ed.Barnard@marconi.com
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:05:17 -0500
Bill;
     The only issue with that method may be the .7 volt drop between each
diode. What will that do to the accuracy of  the tach reading?
                                                   Ed Barnard

Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>@autox.team.net on 08/08/2001 11:11:26 AM

Please respond to Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>

Sent by:  owner-fot@autox.team.net

To:   Ian Cowie <ianhome@acohs.com.au>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
cc:

I'd use steering diodes externally to make it impossible to connect it
incorrectly. Basically you make a full-wave rectifier and connect it to
the voltage inputs for the device, then cover those inputs with epoxy or
some other insulator and provide only the inputs to the rectifier for
connecting the power. The lead from the coil os a pulse and probably it's
polarity doesn't matter. This way whether someone connected the power
forwards, backwards, or even applied AC it wouldn't matter. If you want to
go overboard you can add regulation so thy can't screw up the voltage. You
can actually get all that functionality in some integrated circuits, or
you could make it from discrete components.

Most good quality electronics come with some of this stuff built in. Even
the cheap stuff usually has blocking diodes to keep you from toasting the
gear.