fot

Re: Speaking of Flywheels...

To: EPRacer@aol.com, lang@isis.mit.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of Flywheels...
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:19:45 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/2001 5:13:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
EPRacer@aol.com writes:

> I have not heard about a clutch coming apart for years, and when I saw it
> was
> the original Borg and Beck type it seems to me that may be the problem.
> When
> you see a Tilton clutch, there is very little that can come apart.

Amici:

I run the Tilton Competition clutch in my TR3.  It did break up at Watkins
Glen last year.  Not on the race track, but parading down to 'Smally's
Garage' to recreate the 1950s Tech Inspection.  The grades are awesome, and I
was downshifting (probably from 2nd to 1st, when I heard a tremendous POP.  I
thought someone shot me.  The car was still operating, but shifting was
rough.  I actually ran the feature race on Sunday.  The car ran smoothly in
3rd and 4th.  When we got home, and examined the car on our hoist, we
discovered a 3" diameter hole in the tranny case, adjacent to my right foot.
When we pulled the tranny, we found about 20% of the clutch gone, the pieces
of which had become little round bullets in the tranny case, and at least one
went through the case and hit a seam outside the foot tunnel, which was stout
enough to keep it outside the tunnel.

I ordered one of the tranny blankets Mordy Dunst arranged for.  It has not
been installed yet, as I am racing the Thunder Bolt this year.  It will be on
my TR3 next year.

Bill Dentinger