fot

Introduction, Tim Murphy

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Introduction, Tim Murphy
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:37:13 -0500
Thanks for the advice on the engine lift and the studs.  I neglected to
mention that I plan on pulling the transmission (OD unit) with the
engine.  Any further comments?

I should introduce myself.  I have been listening on the list for
about a year and a half.  I had been crewing for my friend Dick Rupp who
races MG-TDs (sorry!) in Group 1 in VSCDA events.  He introduced me to
Bill Dentinger, who I understand is the typical Triumph vintage racer.
Bill was kind enough to nominate me to the list.

I am an Electrical Engineer who has worked for the past 40 years in the
machine tool industry, mainly controls but a lot of mechanics,
hydraulics and pneumatics.  It there was a wire near anything, it was an
electrical problem.  Basically my jobs have been to make the machines
work.  Its been fun and still is.

Ive always worked on cars since my first, a 10 year old 1952 Chevy.  I
then regressed to a 1938 Chevy, same engine.  I bought a 1966 TR-4A IRS
with OD new and kept it for 25 years.  Did a body restoration in 1975
(Wisconsin) and had to grind valves once when a Stromberg diaphragm
ripped and leaned out No. 4 a bit too much.  Ive usually bought my cars
new and kept them for 10 years.  Once out of warranty I never see the
dealer as I have always done all my own work.  Currently I have a 1997
BMW 328is (new), 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6 (used), 1986 Mercedes 300E
(used) and 1979 Mazda RX-7 (new).  The Mercedes were bought used for the
obvious reason and have provided a lot of garage time!  But they are
great cars.

Dick Rupp heard about a Triumph race car for sale and we went to look at
it and wound up buying it.  My son is my partner in this venture.  Hes
got the pickup truck to be used as tow vehicle!  We got the trailer with
the car.  He is a Deputy Sheriff in Fond du Lac county and works 6 days
and then 3 days off and was going to have a lot of time to work on the
car.  Hasnt worked out that way yet.  He just finished rebuilding his
pickup truck.  The car is a 1961 TR-4, Commission No. CT511L, which had
been raced in Midwestern Council events by a Mr. Carl Peterson of
Janesville, Wisconsin.  The first entry in the log book is a drivers
school at Blackhawk in May of 1981 and the last entry is July 1984, also
Blackhawk.  The car is marked #6 EP.  The fella I bought it from in
Elkhart Lake had it for about 10 years and decided he had one too many
toys and was never going to get to this one.  It is painted dark blue
with a cage type of rollbar.  If anyone has any information about the
car I would appreciate it.

The plan is to disassemble it, bead blast and paint the body, its
pretty rough, and go through all of the mechanicals.  The good thing is,
everything is there and its rust free.  The story we got is that it has
been a race car since almost new.  Could be, because it sure hasnt
spent any time in the Wisconsin winters.  We fired up the engine weekend
before last after a thorough check over.  After 12 years of sitting, it
ran!  Once the engine got itself cleaned out it sounded pretty good.
Seems to be some sort of race cam in it by the way it idles, or
doesnt idle.  Upon disassembly the plan is to just freshen it for
next year with new bearings and rings and a valve job and anything else
that appears obvious.  If the cylinders are shot that will mean new
sleeves.  The idea is to get it running, go through drivers school and
hopefully make Mid-Ohio.  The same idea applies to the rest of the
running gear.  Ive got a set of front hubs from Southwick and we plan
on taking the axle down there when we get it out.

I have learned a lot by listening for the past year and a half and
will be asking more questions/advice as we get further into the
project.  One nice thing is we got a lot of spares.  Engine,
transmission, carbs, headers, rear axle, etc.  Dont know how good any
of it is though.

Tim Murphy
Son, Ryan Murphy
N5303 River Road