fot

Re: TR 4 NEGATIVE CAMBER

To: Jim Elbe <JElbe@superflow.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 4 NEGATIVE CAMBER
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:01:44 +0000
Jim Elbe wrote:

>      What's the best way to get some on a TR 4 ??
>      RMVR will not let you change mounting points or use non-standard
> components. I've read the book about heating and bending the uprights. Is
> this still the preferred way to go ?? If so can someone recommend a place
> that knows what they are doing ? Can the uprights only be sent to be done ?
>     Thanks in advance.
>                                         Jim Elbe
>                                                TR 4 #223
>    P.S. Got my decals - pretty cool - thanks.

It can be done by heating and bending the uprights.

I shorten the upper a-arms to get negative camber. I've done about a dozen sets
for folks. I don't know if RMVR allows this, but early SCCA rules would allow
it under the "removal of metal permitted" rule, I think.

The amount to be taken out depends on the rest of the front end setup, because
of a-arm geometry.

If you have taken out the aluminum spacer, and if you have either the
competition springs or the MGB/GT front springs, then taking 3/8" out of the
upper a-arm yields about 1-1/2 deg negative camber, which seems to work well
and doesn't cause the front tires to wear unevenly.

I have built a welding fixture to assure precision measurements. I'm not really
all that anxious to do them, because they are very time-consuming --
sandblasting and cleaning up the stock arms, eight rather precision sawcuts,
welding, and cutting and welding on small reinforcing plates just for
insurance, painting lightly. I charge $75 and you furnish the upper a-arms.

When I do it, I like to do several sets at a time because of the time-consuming
nature of the job, and I'm going to do some within the next month.

Jack W. Drews
514 North Vail Street
Geneseo IL 61254

--