fot

wheel studs & wheel stud hole diameters

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: wheel studs & wheel stud hole diameters
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 06:46:49 -0700
Ok, heres the situation.  On Susans Spitfire we're switching from
some heavy aluminum alloy wheels that use the shoulder lug nuts to
Minilite replicas.  The Minilites were originally sold to fit a
GT6.  I'm not sure what the wheel stud size was for a GT6 but the
Spitfires were 3/8x24 thread size.  However, her Spitfire has been
upgraded to 7/16" wheel studs.  The stud hole in the Minilite
appears to be 1/2" or slightly larger in diameter.  Our choices
are to bore out the Minilites large enough to use shoulder type
lug nuts, this is NOT my prefered choice or what I would like to
do is just use tapered lug nuts and basically center the wheel
over the stud via the taper of the nut mating to the taper on the
wheel.

My question is, if the hole in the wheel is larger than the wheel
stud is this a problem when using the tapered type lug nuts?  In
other words, does it matter if the sides of the studs don't make
contact with wheel itself?

Hope this makes sense....!!!

TIA

Brad