fot

RE: TR-3 rear axle

To: "'mikee@ragtops.com'" <mikee@ragtops.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR-3 rear axle
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:41:04 -0800
Kind of sounds like you're doing it the wrong way. You need to be able to
take the diff apart without destroying all that stuff. Yes, you do have to
assemble, check and dismantle, lather, rinse, repeat until you get all the
right measurements. You can get in the ballpark quickly through
measurement and estimation, but I've had to go through the process as much
as ten times to get it right on. You need the right tools to spread the
diff and remove the bearings. Warm everything up so you're not struggling
with interference fits, clean off all the grease and gunk, and don't use
anything but oil when you're assembling.

I guess my first though is: why did you need to destroy bearings and shims
to get it apart in the first place.