fot

Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:55:00 EST
Dear Foters,

After 3.7 decades of horsing around with the four cylinder tractor engines, I
came crashing back down to ground zero concerning the lubrication system.
For about the first two decades, I used nothing more than the stock cartridge
filter with the Purolator filter head.  From time to time, I would also use
the original TR oil cooler which mounted on the side of the radiator, and
also the sandwich attachment between the block and the filter head.  Often, I
would return to the stock system when there was not sufficient time to hook
up the cooler.

The next addition to the system was a spin-on filter conversion kit from
Accessory & Motor Supplies.  I started using Ford Escort filters, which were
recommended by "The Vintage Triumph Magazine" due to their internal check
valves.  My final addition was to add another sandwich plate (part PER-181
from Racer Wholesale) to gain a port for connecting an accusump.

It appears that I am suffering spun bearing problems more often now than I
did with nothing more than the stock system.  Maybe I am out smarting myself.
 Jack Wheeler discovered a few years ago through Dick Stockton's flow bench
testing that the best performing setup for SU Carburetors was the stock
system.  Could the same be true with the lubrication system?

Now comes Ken Gillanders' article, which was reprinted in the Western
Pennsylvania Triumph Association news letter.  I will attempt to scan it into
this message, though it might not transmit.  He is recommending plugging off
the relief valve in the Purolater Oil Filter head (another spring loaded ball
bearing).  When this valve lifts, oil bypasses the filter cartridge and goes
directly to the oil galley.  I finally noticed that when you take the plug
out of the Purolater Filter Head to hook up the original Triumph oil cooler,
the spring and ball must be removed.  In other words, I have been racing for
a long time with a direct filter bypass to the oil gallery.

My old original red TR-3 shop manual talks about some of the oil bypassing
the filter cartridge, and going directly to the oil gallery.  Could this be
part of a critical design to assure that some oil always reaches the gallery?
 I might do better by trying to connect the accusump directly to the oil
gallery and eliminate at least one sandwich attachment to the Purolator
filter head, and possibly go back to the cartridge filter setup.

Any recommendations, suggestions, or opinions will be greatly appreciated.  I
would also appreciate anyone who would be so kind as to explain how their
lubrication systems are hooked up, if they consider their system successful.
Thanks in advance.  Bill Emery

[Unable to display image]