fot

Re: Tyre Pressure/Temperature - Tire Volumes Change

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tyre Pressure/Temperature - Tire Volumes Change
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:18:05 EDT
Certainly wouldn't (or couldn't) dispute any of the science in this
interesting topic but I believe the advantage of Nitrogen over air in a race
tire comes from it being well dried and consistent as opposed to the vapor
laden air from our garage compressors.
Steve

<< FOTers

        The volume within a tire is not constant. Otherwise one would not
have
 centerline wear in an over-inflated tire.

        I can attest that Nitrogen does result in less changes in tire
 pressure during racing. If the tire pressure change is lower as others and I
 have observed, it reflects less heat transfer from the tire body to the
 Nitrogen inside. I graduated from ChemE so long ago and used it so little
 that I can not explain the exact science.

        A gloried plumber (ChemE) turned garbage man (Environmental Eng.).

 Cary >>