fot

FW: TR6 roller cam?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: TR6 roller cam?
From: "Mike Munson" <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:13:48 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: David Wingett [mailto:elkhorn@core.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 8:00 PM
To: Mike Munson
Subject: Re: TR6 roller cam?

         Thanks Mike  Edit this and send it along if you can.

         This is a very expensive project and I seriously wonder if
there is
enough interest in persuing it.  There are a number of advantages in
developing a roller cam for the '6.  (listed in NO particular order):
    1) Rollers can produce MORE  HP.
     2) With a billet cam we can control the size of the bearing  thus
the
dynamics of the over all profile....The larger the carrier bearings the
larger the lobes, the easier on the lifter and valve train.   Gawd, I
wish I
knew a few, more technical terms for this stuff.
            Let me point out that Roller lifters are prohibited in SCCA
EP.   BUUU T!!!, solid lifters with a ceramic, roller profile face ARE
NOT
illegal... they are still solid lifters!!!     [For those that can not
make
that distinction drop out now]   Not only am I working on a  roller
profile
cam but the ceramic (solid) lifters  for them. We already have flat top
ceramic lifters.  ALL of these are SCCA legal!!!!
            The Cam development & Engine builder that I have working on
this
project is LSM ( 1-248-857-8902)  in Waterford, Mich.  They make the
cams
for the IRL teams and took 1st, 2nd & 4th at Indy.   Call Steve, But
PLEASE
don't PISS him off with questions that could be directed to me.  F#@% he
charges enough the way it is!!!
        This is a Very expensive project ( I might have mentioned that)
and
will require a complete engine re-design.   I have commitments from some
National TR6 & Spitfire teams and a couple of suppliers.   But if there
isn't a market from the grass root racers for this investment I can't
carry
it on.  This is not for the faint or weak of heart.  I'm looking for a
core
group that might know the cost of  50 HP and I need a commitment for at
least 10 sets of cams, lifters and blocks.

          David Wingett
            (248) 625-9478