fot

Re: Prather retraction 2

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prather retraction 2
From: matt matthews <mattspit@att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:37:54 -0500
The thread on Prather and the inclusion of big bore limited prep cars with
fully prepared cars is interesting.
I began racing in the northeast before Cal Club "limited prep' rules came
into SCCA, and cost went up to what I am spending now (not enough but too
much). It would seem this is a way of keeping costs down, not a bad thing.
But..

The problem is they try to take a mix of cars and create a competitive
class. Not an easy job. To say nothing of trying to separate out the cars
potential from the drivers. The ideal is to have several (4, 5, 7, 10)
different cars vying for the top places, and to have the same mix throughout
the rest of the pack. Hard to achieve.

I remember Duncan Black won C,D, and E production in his Daimler. I don't
think he changed the car, it was just a question of what class to put it in.
Mark Donahue tried a Daimler and was not competitive, I bought his car and
was competitive in the southeast.

That problem is solved with speck racers, all the same cars, except for
interpretation of what the same is and pushing the envelope of the rules.
Still and all, I like production and tinkering with the car, It gives me an
excuse for my poor driving, I blame it on the car. Maybe I should go to
modified (sports racer).

Good for Steve, he won in the 1300, good for Deiter, he was competitive in
the 1500. What about the other spitfires?

Kowalski and I hope to take 2 1500 to the runoffs next year but that is a
long way off. How competitive will we be? We need to share our knowledge to
be able to be competitive with the Huffacker built Spridgets.

Matt Matthews