fot

Re: Running on the battery

To: elliottd@look.ca, billsohl@mindspring.com, Malaboge@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Running on the battery
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:00:27 EST
In a message dated 11/19/02 3:45:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
elliottd@look.ca writes:

<< Leaving Yellowstone Nat'l Park at 6 in the morning, I noticed my generator
 wasn't working.  It may have been like that for a day or two before I
 noticed.  At the west gate, we filled up with gas but my battery was dead.
 It wouldn't start.

You certainly don't want to be driving in that place after dark with no
headlights.  My wife and I drove a rental car into the park to see Old
Faithful.  She can never get anywhere on time.  It was late afternoon when we
reached this steam blower.  Then someone told us that we should continue on
this road and go out the North Gate.  I did not like this idea since I did
not want to be in the park after dark.  My wife wanted try it, so we took off
for the North Gate with the sun rapidly falling towards the horizon.

Soon it was almost pitch dark while I slowly crunched along a narrow gravel
road between boulders and cliffs.  All of the big rocks and mountains looked
like huge white ghosts.  A Forrest ranger then started tail gating us, and
there was no place to stop or pull over and let him past.  Then a dim image
of elk antlers sauntered in front of us.  I slammed on the brakes, almost
lost it in the gravel, and missed the elk by about two feet.  The ranger
slid, turned sideways, and went into a hill side trying to miss us.

We slowly crept on, and soon the ranger was back on our bumper.  He finally
stormed by driving I assume on radar, when we were finely able to let him by.
 I then saw a black hole ahead in what appeared to be a fence, and we exited
the park.  Down over a hill to the right, There was a settlement with a trail
leading to it.  We took the trail looking for gasoline.

While filling up, a car load of people drove up and started asking us for
directions.  I told them that we are from Pittsburgh.  We just escaped from
that park, which we thought that we would never be able to do.  They drove
on, and I heard laughter.  There were four or five bearded desert rats
standing around an old pickup truck laughing.