fot

Re: Canadian Shell 4000 of the 60s

To: <n197tr4@cs.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Canadian Shell 4000 of the 60s
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:05:13 -0500
The TR4's were in only one Shell 4000.  That was in 1964.

I sent photocopies of all my 1964 Shell files, entries, scores, daily
positions, results, etc to Neil Revington in England.  Neil who has restored
two of those Works Rally TR4's was saying at that time (about 1994) that he
was planning to write a book (co-authored along with Graham Robson, if I
remember correctly) all about these TR4's and their rally stories - both in
Europe as well as in Canada.  Neil has rallies his restored Works Rally TR4
in major long-mileage very competitive and grueling historic rallies very
successfully all over Europe as well as in Australia over the last 5 or 6
years.

Graham may have more info on this.

Carsten Conrad in Germany also has one of these TR4's.

I checked with Shell Canada at that time and the answer I got back from
their records or archives people was that they had no records of the rally
even though it was held about 5 consecutive years.

I seem to remember that a DC-3 flew for Shell from point to point while the
rally was running to make a promotional film of the event.  I couldn't get
any confirmation of that.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal