fot

Re: VARA NON-tech at the speedway.

To: gasket.works@gte.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VARA NON-tech at the speedway.
From: TRBILBO@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:04:46 EST
I have to disagree a bit re: this years tech and the BOD kudo's.  Irwindale
is a great venue to show and tech our favorite race cars, the weather was
perfect, loved seeing and chatting with Kas and Peggy and all my FOT buddies.
after a very slim season of racingthis year due to work obligations.

But in my  opinion...and only my opinion, as a tech event this years venue
and plan just didn't work. Last years event, with mixed car classes as we
arrived, was much smoother and much better organized. And not having attended
any BOD meetings I have no clue why we had so few actual tech's working...or
at least visible. Apologies to those tech's that were no doubt trying their
best. Just didn't seem to be enough peoples for this large car showing.

And in fairness I have volunteered to tech at next years event to try to help
this event run smoother next year. So I am not idling griping.

But I think I have a fair complaint when after 3 1/4 hours there still was
not one EP car teched and in talking to five others there who had toured the
"pits" we could not find one tech even on his way.

I left tech after 11:30 and had been there from 8:15 car out and ready,
without an annual sticker...a first ever for me. But not for lack of prepping
the car. That's just not goodness. I gave my completed form to Joe Siam as
well as my comment card and hope someone makes efforts to do "catch ups" (?)
at the next race if the BOD decides to  acknowldege the problem I and others
think this event had.

As much as I enjoyed seeing all our FOT friends, those of us that had to take
time off from work to even get the morning free...... and still had to work
that afternoon would rather go back to  the approach of first in and first
out of the previous year.

There were purportedly only  three tech's working almost 100 of those cars
according to the class rep and the sole tech I could find  and ask .That
just didn't seem like good planning.

My hats off to Joe Siam, our class rep, who tried his best to "pre-tech" the
cars himself in our group, focusing on the critical items that were being
looked for this year. He did find my cut off switch inoperable due to an
alternator wire connector that had broken during the last race , A safety
issue/need, I had missed it for this tech.

I hope someone carries those kudo's to the BOD. Thanks Joe.

As great a turn out as it was..... there iseemed to be much that needs to be
done to improve the cycle time. Like I said , I volunteered to help tech next
year so this is not a hollow gripe. Priority still should be given  to those
who just have to still punch that clock....even on Saturday.....and to those
that got up at 5 AM to get to the event when it opened.

Enjoyed seeing you all once again and hope to find more track time this year.

If Joe carries this note forward to the BOD (Please do Joe!!) I   hope my
comments are taken in the spirit intended. Lessons learned....go back to last
year's approach of "tech" first in and first out...car show second. It is
just a more efficient service approach for the VARA membership.

Cheers to all FOT racers and best wishes for success in the new racing year.

Bill Burroughs, #195 TR4A-IRS EP1

Subj:    VARA annual tech at the speedway.