fot

Suspension/Handling Questions

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension/Handling Questions
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:33:01 -0600
I've been doing a lot of work measuring and analyzing the suspension in
my TR3 race car.  I've spent quite a bit of time going through the
archives.  I can't say that I've read every post, but I think I have a
pretty good idea of what has been posted.  My questions are:

1.  I've got a ride height (to bottom of frame rails) of about 4 1/2
inch in front and 6 inches in back.  What is the stock TR3 ride height
and is it the same in front and back, i.e. frame rails parallel to the
ground.  What ride heights do most TR3 race cars have front and back?  I
know lower is better, but how low can you go?

2.  I appear to have a horrible bump steer problem, with toe out
increasing on a bump and decreasing with droop. To correct this I
believe either the steering arm and idler arm must go down or the
steering lever attached to the vertical link must go up.  I'm thinking
heating and bending the steering lever will be the easier approach.  Is
this the right thing to do?  Do I have to worry about hardness of the
arm?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Larry Young
Forever Young Racing