fot

Re: TR4 Piston Liner Installation

To: vucinic@b140.aone.net.au
Subject: Re: TR4 Piston Liner Installation
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:36:45 EST
In a message dated 2/10/03 3:14:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
vucinic@b140.aone.net.au writes:

<< I will be using a sealant on the cylinder liner, both where it presses into
 the block and where the figure 8 gasket seats. I am assuming that once the
 liners are fitted into position, the best method of seating the liner would
be
 to fit the cylinder head and torque down. This of course will allow the
 sealant to set, with the liners compressed in the correct position.

I have never had any trouble by installing the liners and clamping them down
in the block.  You can do this using sockets over the head bolts and the 1/2"
washers and head bolts.  I made a couple sets of hold downs by cutting short
lengths of pipe and welding washers onto the ends.

Then gently tap in the pistons and rods using a ring compressor and hammer
handle.  Sometimes the rings will pop out from under the compressor, and you
have to reset everything.  Rotate the engine in the stand, connect the rod to
the crank, and go on to the next piston.

I am not saying that this is the best procedure.