fot

RE: Suspension analysis challenges

To: "'Larry Young'" <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: RE: Suspension analysis challenges
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:31:59 -0800
I'm going to try that next weekend.

I think I got a pretty good measurement for the ball joint. I took a
cutaway drawing of the ball joint (from the manual) and enlarged it on a
Xerox machine until it matched the outer dimensions of the ball joint
exactly. That gave me the ball center relative to the casting of the real
part. Then I scribed lines on a spare balljoint to establish the center
line. All the Y dimensions were measured with a laser level with a transit
base. The X dimensions I measure from part to part wherever I can reach
them. I made a giant set of calipers using a long aluminum faming square
with a moveable slide. I think I'm accurate to 1/8". I take half the
measurement to get the centerline to pivot center distance. I've done
every measurement three times and I'm within 1/8" for all three sets. I've
managed to drop plumb lines to the rear lower a arm pivots and got pretty
good figures for those. It would all be a lot easier with the engine out,
but so it goes.

The SusProg 3D software actually has the capability of accommodating
trunnions. I found that out last night while perusing the help files. Once
again I learn the hard way to RTFM. They actually show a triumph Spitfire
trunnion in the example. The Front suspension Geometry Pro software does
not accommodate this kind of upright, though you can fake it with two data
files--one with trunnion pivot as the lower ball joint to calculate camber
gain, the other with the trunnion centerline to calculate bump steer.

Your right about the sensitivity. Doesn't take much to make the bump steer
go wild.