fot

RE: Head Cooling Problems

To: "'Larry Young'" <cartravel@pobox.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Head Cooling Problems
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:21:23 -0800
Your explanation started off good and then wandered away, then got back to
point. In my humble opinion. First of all, this is anything but a closed
system as far as heat balances go--the heat sink is the earth. Second, the
heat rejected by the engine is anything but constant--it's a direct
function of energy generated and thermal efficiency. Generation has to do
with how deep your foot is into it and where you are in the power band.
Heat is being carried away thorough all kinds of mechanisms, most of which
are also variable. Direct air cooling of the engine (a function of air
flow through the engine compartment), direct cooling of the engine by the
induction air and the fuel (even though they are one of the primary
sources of heat (friction is another), they also directly cool and they
carry way lots of heat through the exhaust system). Pumping oil both
generates heat and carries it away to the oil cooler. Complicated system.
Way too complicated to do even an approximately accurate heat balance
without big league calculation and a lot of empirical measurements that
would get stuffed into constants. Not that anyone would really care that
wasn't working for a carmaker.

I suspect that Greg Solow is absolutely correct. A fusty brit radiator
designed more than 50 years ago is marginal in a touring application, much
less racing. I think they assemble them with old waxoil instead of solder.
Four pounds of radiator cap is more than enough for them, and even that
can spawn leaks. A dirty TR3 radiator with a crank hole in the middle
probably has a lower temperature drop than the radiator hoses do. Just
FEEL the exit hose sometime--it's as hot as the inlet (I swear mine felt
hotter). I do think the Chevy guy that wants to install a 25# radiator cap
is on to something--it will turn the radiator into a showerhead and then
you can justify a good one.