fot

RE: Tim Suddard checking in.

To: "'GRMTim@aol.com'" <GRMTim@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Tim Suddard checking in.
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:42:50 -0800
Hate to bug you with this, but I wanted to make sure I got my subscription
started with the first issue. I recall telling you that I'm in--did I send
you a Visa number or can you use what you've already got. I have a good
memory, it's just short.

I read your editorial in the latest issue of GRM--great job though I
disagree completely with your notion that starting a second magazine
doesn't make "business sense" because you haven't optimized distribution
of the magazine you already have. That's certainly in the MBA rulebook,
but most of the guys that ran companies like that are back living with
Mommy now that their business failed. I get to see the inside of a lot of
companies, deep into the guts of their marketing operations. The deep
secret is that most of the 'rules' are bullshit, made up on the spot, just
like statistics (did you know 90 percent of statistics are made
up--including this one), and then given permanence because other fools
repeat them.

By the time you made GRM a monthly you and your staff would probably be
burned out, doing the same thing over and over, trying to fill those
pages. The passion would slip, the quality might suffer. A new toy, a new
plan, a new venue is much more of what the doctor ordered. Furthermore,
one magazine can't be everything to everyone. As you roll your coverage
window forward, you'll leave audience behind. Acquiring customers is
expensive. You can spend a lot to keep them and still make money.

I can make up reasons like this off the top of my head all day--I'm a
professional at creating bullshit rules. But one I really believe in is
that doing something with a passion is just as valuable as doing it by the
book, and just as likely to succeed or fail. One of the most successful
toymakers in Japan was brought nearly to bankruptcy by the MBA-style son
of the founder, and was rescued by the neer-do-well son who simply loved
the products and had a passion for making them fun.

Your enjoyment of the things you do shows in every copy of your magazine,
and though I buy dozens of car and bike mags it's one of the few that I
truly read. Success in your new venture.

I wish you well
Bill