fot

Re: power inverters

To: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: power inverters
From: "Gary & Gretchen" <garygret@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:05:21 -0500
The reason isn't obvious, but this isn't unusual. Almost all 12V inverters
produce what's called a quasi-sine output wave: it's just a couple
stairsteps of voltage rather than a sine wave because it's cheap and
efficient to generate. Most electronic devices and DC motors such as drills
don't mind this since they just rectify or commutate the voltage.
Incandescent lamps also don't care. But devices that are powered by
transformers such as battery chargers or ballasted flourescent lights often
do not like the non-sinusoidal wave - transformer magnetics require a sine
wave for efficient operation.

There are sinusoidal inverters but they are more expensive, bulky and less
efficient like this RV model:
http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=177. A cheaper
alternative but a little trickier would be to find a battery charger that is
powered by an electronic switching supply rather than a transformer - that
would happily run off your inverter. The trouble is it can be hard to tell
in the store or on the web what's inside. If it runs from 90-240V without
flipping a switch, it's electronic. If it weighs much less than yours for a
similar amperage rating, it's probably electronic. If it says "switch mode"
it's electronic. These are a couple examples:
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/deltran/onboard_charger.htm,
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/soneil/soneil-12v3a.htm

No personal knowledge of these vendors, just Google hits.
Good luck with it,
Gary Schneider
37EP TR4