fot

RE: power inverters

To: "'jaboruch '" <jaboruch@adelphia.net>,
Subject: RE: power inverters
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:00:07 -0700
There are a number of things that inexpensive inverters will not power.
Transformers in general have some challenges with the AC from them which
looks like a bunch of square waves on a scope--they switch the power,
hence the square waves. Some transformers work fine because they smooth
the waves. Others overheat, or make nasty noises while they shake their
laminations loose, or put out too low a voltage. In general, the newer the
gear, the better it works.

The new Honda generators, while more expensive than your approach, are
really trick. They have a DC generator and an inverter, but they put out a
nice wave and they have a built-in battery charger. In econo mode they
make very little noise and use almost no gas. You can connect two of them
in parallel with a synchronizer cable and outlet setup to put out up to
4000 watts! I bought mine a long time ago so I got the little 1000 watt
version, which is a little too small to run my midget air compressor. I'll
probably have to get a second 1000 and a synch setup, though the new 2000
watt ones are reasonably inexpensive.

I'll make you a deal on my 1000 watt version, though I'm sure shipping
would make the idea silly.