fot

Re: leaky tranny

To: johnkipping@inet.net.nz, brad.kahler@141.com (Brad Kahler),
Subject: Re: leaky tranny
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 20:56:05 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/03 2:39:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
johnkipping@inet.net.nz writes:

<< I can think of four reasons for this, bottom bellhousing bolt missing
copper
 washer, worn scroll, missing oil flinger, blocked gearbox breather. Only the
 gearbox breather is easy to sort, all the others require gearbox out.

I am normally always smoking on the track.  You tell people that you set the
engine up with loose clearances for reliability, and it burns more oil than
normal.  Don't mention any leaks.  Old British cars are supposed to smoke.
This
will save pulling the gearbox until you need to for another reason.

Several years ago at Nelson Ledges, someone (may be one of our new FOT
members) was laying down a dense smoke screen with a Sprite or Spitfire
(obstructing
everyone's vision).  Yet he was flying along faster than everyone else.