fot

RE: Pertronix Ignition points sustitute system

To: "'Gerald Van Vlack'" <jerryvv@alltel.net>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pertronix Ignition points sustitute system
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:48:55 -0700
You should double and triple check your timing. Make sure your timing is
correct at full advance. Use a good light that will still work at high
rpm. I use gap to diagnose weak spark problems. If the problem disappears
with a smaller gap (say .015) then you've got a weak spark. Generally
electronic ignition manufacturers recommend a big gap because the higher
voltage and short rise time of their systems permits it. You're less
likely to get a fouled plug with a big gap.

You could have a bad Pertronics unit, those these kind of things usually
fail by going inert.

Your old coil may not like your new system. Coils with a lot of broken
down insulation don't like hot ignition systems.