fot

Re: Pertronix Ignition points sustitute system

To: BillB@bnj.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pertronix Ignition points sustitute system
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:21:53 EDT
In a message dated 6/19/03 12:15:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

<< CD's don't charge the coil to saturation and then open
 the coil to collapse the magnetic field and get a spark--they have a
 rapidly rising pulse and a much higher primary voltage. no ballast
 required.  >>

Also, the points operate as a switching device, do not see much current, and
last forever.  Going back to ancient times, some parts store furnished me the
wrong coil for my 1959 Rambler American, and I would fry a set of points by
just driving it around the block.  My $40 1956 Ford Wagon also came without a
ballast resistor and fried points.  I then added a resistor in the proper
circuit, and the points lasted the length of time that they should.  The points
were
fed 12 volts on starting (bypassing the resistor), and 6 volts while the
engine was running.