fot

Re: Blackhawk race weekend

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blackhawk race weekend
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:50:33 EDT
In a message dated 06/16/2003 9:43:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

> Bill Dentinger -- the Tornado was again the star of the paddock

Amici:

I don't know about that, but I think I had one of the HOTTEST cars there!!!

I know in the Saturday morning practice session it had 18" flames coming out
of the carb holes in the bonnet.  I am no longer the most agile person in the
world.  I wish I had a video of all 265 pounds of me trying to get out of my
seat belts, out of the car, open the bonnet, and put out the flames with my
fire extinguisher.  Seemed like it took an hour and a half, but in fact I beat
the corner workers, who had to watch for oncoming race traffic to get to me
from
their station across the track.  51 cars in Race Group TWO, on a 1.95 mile
track.  We had the fuel pressure set too high.  My overflow catch tank filled
with race gas.  My carb weep tubes split and gas poured onto the header.  Talk
about excitement.  I can't believe how little damage there was.  Must have been
more burning fumes than raw gas.  Don Brick and Bob Wismer helped me replace
the overflow fuel lines and clean up the fire residue.  We had the car
re-teched and they let me out for the afternoon Sprint Race.  I was gridded
32nd, and
finished 13th, including a new personal best BLACKHAWK lap time.

Blackhawk is freshly repaved, and faster.  SCCA and Midwestern Council racers
are setting new records each time out.

I agree...it was a great weekend.  On to MOSP0RT......

Bill Dentinger

PS

Word to the wise.  Fire Extinguishers need to be 'tested' from time to time.
Just because you've never used yours, doesn't mean it is still good.  I test
mine every winter (along with about two dozen company units).  I'll tell you
what....when you're on fire...you're glad to have one that works.

Seem's to me I heard my wife say that once.