fot

Re: Oil Starvation-- Solution needed

To: "Chuck Arnold" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil Starvation-- Solution needed
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:35:53 -0700
Chuck,
First let me tell you the drawing in the competition manual (at least the
early copy I have) is not 100% correct (no offense intended Kas).  The
dipstick hole is not proper as well as the cutout for the oil pump, I think
its for an early style pump and isn't proper for the later style.
As far as the oil starvation to # 1 rod bearing, did you make sure the oil
galleys were cleaned?  This is a common oversight to not get them thoroughly
cleaned.  I'd also recommend you look closely to the oil pump and make sure
you have the later style oil pump and change the pressure relief valve to a
higher pressure, either with a shim or different spring.
What was your oil pressure?  Do you use a auxiliary oil line to the rocker
shaft? Did you make sure the screw was in the rocker shaft (these are known
to fall out)?  Did your oil pump fail? You can see grooves worn into the
base of the pump if its worn badly. These are several items of concern also.
Charly