fot

Re: Flywheel woes

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Flywheel woes
From: "T.R. Scratchings" <wob@dandrade.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 02:41:45 +0100
ARP Bolts are the answer. For a 4-bolt application, chamfer the flywheel
holes slightly to clear the underhead radius of the bolt, and use Pt#
200-2802. Use the recommended lube. I hate Loctite on flywheel bolts! These
bolts will take a Dickens of a torque, and will keep a lightened flywheel on
till 7000 rpm. After that, go with 8 bolts, with the smaller wrenching
diameter, and neat little washers; you need 3-off Pt# 230-7303. These are
slightly longer also,so always check for bottoming out. With these 8, the
clamping load is such that no shear takes place - in fact the crank will
bust before the flywheel falls off. The house record was set last year with
a second to first shift instead of third, giving 9300 rpm on the
telltale...No damage. Use ARP anywhere you possibly can, especially for rod
bolts and head studs. BTW if the flywheel suffered any damage from banging
around BIN IT, and get the rear end of the crank trued ASAP. Good luck!
  Jon Wood    P.S. #40 Keith Files' TR-6 is featured in the current "Triumph
World" <grin>