fot

Re: Flywheel woes

To: Charly Mitchel <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Subject: Re: Flywheel woes
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:03:46 -0700
Charly Mitchel wrote:

>Today (Friday), I was running my TR6 in the SOVREN Historics @ Pacific
>Raceways in Kent WA, when during my qualifying session, I suddenly felt a
>vibration and the clutch wasn't operating fully.  Upon removing my
>transmission I discovered 3 of the bolts holding the flywheel on were sheered
>off and the last one was about half way out.
>I'm looking for a fix I can do tomorrow(Saturday) and get me back on the
>track.  Anybody have any suggestions?  I've heard of extra pins in the
>crankshaft end and putting loctite around the crankshaft  snout to flywheel
>connect as well as the bolts.  The extra pins in the crank won't be possible
>until I take the motor apart.  Any particular bolts work better? Lock washers?
>Any ideas?
>Charly
>
>.

Charly,
    We used 8, 1/2-20 bolts. Forget the dowel. Make sure you get a bolt
with a proper grip length as this transfers the torque. Use the NAS 628
series of bolts from an aircraft supplier as these are very hard and
don't stretch. Torque to 120#. We used the same 8 bolts for 15 years. We
learned all this from what Kas learned. Try and get the rotating mass
down to 9 - 10 #. This can't be fixed at the track. Anything you do will
make it worse because now you don't have a square, clean mating surface
for the flywheel/crank interface.
Greg