fot

TR4 Rocker Shaft Wear

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Rocker Shaft Wear
From: "Peter Vucinic" <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:07:03 +1000
Gentlemen,
I am hoping that some one on the list has gone there before me on this one! I
am not happy with the wear on my "tuff trided" rocker shaft which is a MOSS UK
item. The shaft has 2-3 thou wear over a couple of thousand miles. I can only
assume that the shaft is/was hardened. I know oil supply is not an issue as I
run an external feed line and the rocker arm bushes are in pretty much perfect
condition.

I must admit that my rocker arms do not use the STD bushes. I modified the
arms to utilise an off the shelf oil impregnated bronze bush and this may have
contributed to the wear, as these bushes have slightly more surface area than
the STD's. However, I did grind more & deeper oil grooves on the shaft
directly inline with each rocker bearing. Maybe I needed to machine a groove
all the way around shaft which, is one option I am considering for the new
shaft.

Does anyone have a positive experience with an alternate/different supply for
this item? Or does someone have a "better fix" for this problem.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards
Peter Vucinic
WORKS-4