fot

Re: F1 observation (not Triumph Related)

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: F1 observation (not Triumph Related)
From: Dave Riddle <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:50:45 -0700
Actually the reason is that the parent companies of Marlboro, B and H, and
Lucky Strike already have brands that they advertise in motor racing here
in the US while neither West nor Mild Seven do.

In fact that is one of the biggest reasons that Penske moved from CART to
the IRL (certainly not because of the IRL format or IRL competition.
Marlboro got tired of not seeing their name at the Indy 500.  Since they
could only have motor racing sponsorship on one car/team that wanted to be
at the BIG show.

On a side note the Penske drivers (De Ferran in particular) hated moving to
the oval circuits and said he always feared being killed in an Oval race.
Probably a big reason why he is retiring now that he won Indy. Why stick
around and be proven right.