fot

RE: F1 observation (not Triumph Related)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: F1 observation (not Triumph Related)
From: Douglas Mitchell <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:11:50 -0700 (PDT)
And Fallen Heroes from 2001.

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-fot@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-fot@autox.team.net]On

Behalf Of Rocky Entriken

Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 2:26 AM

To: Joe Curry; fot@autox.team.net

IIRC, one of the aspects of the tobacco deal is they get one sports venue

for their advertising.

It is why Winston left NHRA a year ago to focus on NASCAR -- (the RJR

contract with NASCAR had four more years to run, that change was a mutual

agreement thing that let NASCAR seek other sponsorship earlier).

Marlboro is on Penske, B&H and Lucky have other U.S. sports advertising

venues, so being on an F1 car in the USA would be a second venue and not

allowed under the agreement. Mild Seven and West are not sold here (or at

least, not advertised here; some specialty tobacconists may carry them) and

so their appearance on the Renaults and McLarens became their one allowed US

sports advertising venue.

As for BE ON EDGE, Eddie Jordan seems to have great fun paraphrasing his

sponsor when necessary. Remember Buzzing Hornets from last year?

--Rocky Entriken